This page/article, image, and/or category is a candidate for deletion.
Nick Jr. is an American preschool TV network. It is a version of Nickelodeon for younger kids. It is run by Paramount Global through its networks division's Kids and Family Group.
Why It Sucks Now
- Ever since the downfall, Nick Jr. has shows that copied other preschool shows from other networks such as PBS Kids and Disney Junior.
- Aside from some good or decent shows with original ideas, they have lots of rip-off other preschool shows, hence why most people decided to make memes as the result.
- As the result, these shows are running out of ideas for concept, making it unoriginal.
- After Paw Patrol became a huge success for the block, the network is now obsessed with generic toyetic preschool shows, mostly Canadian CGI shows, rather than American and original shows, although Blaze and the Monster Machines is still a great show. As the result, there are not focusing on educational shows.
- These shows from the network try extremely hard to appeal to the younger viewers with hip and cool. An example is that in Paw Patrol where Ryder flosses and dabs (no joke; for real) in the Season 8 episode "Pups Save a Glow-in-the-Dark Party", as both of which were long-dead trends by the time the episode had aired in 2021.
- The current rebrand in 2018 is really bad.
- While Nick Jr. declined in quality a bit when it became a network, it became really bad in 2014 when they decided to make Canadian CGI shows after that.
- The network itself has been a dumping ground for shows with low ratings, similar to NickToons. After a show gets its episodes burned, it gets taken off the network in favor of more Paw Patrol/Peppa Pig reruns.
- Although not bad, Butterbean's Cafe and Shimmer and Shine are good examples of shows that try very hard to appeal to the little girls watching.
- Sometimes, like Nickelodeon, the shows that air on Nick Jr. network and the promos/bumpers that air on it can try to be hip and cool with the kids.
- The infamous NickMom block, which was part of Nickelodeon's dark age during 2012-2015. Not only was it a knockoff of Nick@Nite but on the Nick Jr. Channel, but it only ran for four hours which meant very little room for original content. It's worth noting that it was reported that 30 original shows were in development for said block back in 2011.
- Canadian shows somewhat stand out to the network more than they did.
- Similar to Nickelodeon where they keep milking SpongeBob SquarePants and The Loud House, they kept milking Peppa Pig and Paw Patrol that pushed way too much and the network's pets, just so trying to cash on and nothing else. Not only that, they are even pushed so much most of the only shows that stand out to the network are just shows that ended already and are currently getting reruns by dumbed down so badly.
- These shows that air on the network are average or badly received such as:
- Moreover, some programs they broadcast are not even preschool like Alvinnn!!! and the Chipmunks or Mysticons (although the former has since been corrected).
- It is pretty much the reason why they have manage to pulled far tons of old classic shows from reruns. Examples included:
- Jack's Big Music Show
- Blue's Clues
- Ni-Hao, Kai Lan (the 2-part finale was dumped on the Nick Jr. channel in 2011)
- Wonder Pets! (season 4 crawled to hiatus gaps until it finally finished in 2017 in the US)
- The Backyardigans
- Go, Diego, Go!
- Dora the Explorer (the finale didn't air until 2019 in American just in time for the movie, even if it did in international in 2015)
- Max & Ruby
- Little Bill (because of the controversies with creator Bill Cosby and never added to Paramount+)
- To make matters worse, reruns of shows like Oobi and Jack's Big Music Show (which aired back when the channel was called Noggin) were buried in graveyard slots. After the network rebranded in 2012, Jack (and possibly other older Nick Jr. shows) only sporadically aired before they were removed completely.
- Because of this, it is now getting smashed to the ground by the number one rival Disney Junior which is a network that's doing really well now.
- Despite the downhill, they still have some good shows, thanks to the original ideas as well as the one from American studios. Examples are:
- Original shows:
- Acquired shows:
- Paw Patrol (despite the blatant cash grab)
- Rusty Rivets
- Top Wing
- Ricky Zoom
- The logo's not different and still looks decent, giving to see the remembrance of the Nickelodeon logo.
- Before their downfall in 2013, the channel was way better.