Rio Komiya tests positive for COVID-19 during Kiramager production
At a press conference held today by TV-Asahi, Toei Productions has confirmed that actor Rio Komiya, who plays the role of Juuru Atsuta/ KiramaRed on the currently airing Mashin Sentai Kiramager has tested positive for COVID-19, or as it is more commonly referred to, the coronavirus. On March 31, Toei Productions reported during a press conference that Komiya had tested positive for COVID-19, after Komiya reported losing his sense of taste on the 24, and had stopped filming the weekend of the 28. On April 4, a director tweeted out that Rio had recovered and that filming of Kiramager would resume (it was confirmed to have actually resumed in June). On April 9, Rio confirmed via his Twitter that he was officially discharged from the hospital, however, he would still remain home for at least two weeks. Despite his recovery, Japan's state of emergency regarding the COVID-19 pandemic put the show on hiatus from May 17 to June 14. During his stay at home in quarantine with COVID-19, his fellow Super Sentai actors from past seasons posted get well wishes and cheers for his recovery on Twitter and Instagram, Since Episode 14, because of the COVID-19 pandemic, they started using face masks, which can be unsightly for some considering face masks are objects to protect from said real-life pandemic.
After this incident, several Tokusatsu actors and actresses (such as Kamen Rider and Super Sentai) tested positive for COVID-19.
- Tetsuji Sakakibara (Spada/Kajiki Yellow in Uchu Sentai Kyuranger)
- Ryusei Yokohama (Hikari Nonomura/ToQ 4gou (Green) in Ressha Sentai ToQger)
- Ike Nwala (Commander Hilltop in Kaitou Sentai Lupinranger VS Keisatsu Sentai Patranger)
- Yusuke Yamamoto (Tsurugi Kamishiro/Kamen Rider Sasword in Kamen Rider Kabuto)
- Toshihiko Seki (Momotaros/Kamen Rider Den-O Sword Form (Red) in Kamen Rider Den-O)
- Hiroki Iijima (Emu Hojo/Kamen Rider Ex-Aid in Ex-Aid)
- Fumika Baba (Medic Roidmude in Kamen Rider Drive)