Newbie and the Disasternauts
Newbie and the Disasternauts (or Nilba e os Desastronautas in Portuguese) is a Brazilian flash cartoon created by 44Toons and Fundação Padre Anchieta.
The cartoon at first debuted in some local educational and children's channels, until later to have an adaptation in English for the North American channels Starz Kids and Family Channel in 2013.
Why He's an Disasternaut
- The entire show is a rip-off, has no originality, makes exaggerated use of parodies and references to pop culture and is unable to have 100% original episodes. The animation rip-offs various American and Canadian cartoons from the 90s and 2000s like Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls, Fairly Oddparents, Danny Phantom, Atomic Betty and several others. In addition the plot rip-offs old sci-fi series such as Lost in Space, Star Trek and Star Wars. That the main character is constantly messing up the team's plans to get home, taking a page out of Gilligan's Island.
- The creator, Ale McHaddo was known for having previously worked on Video Brinquedo creating and directing films as The Little Cars, Little Princess School, Ratatoing, Little Panda Fighter and several others. This reason explains the lack of originality of the show.
- The plot does not make sense, a 8-year-old immature boy was responsible for guiding a crew of adult astronauts to a satellite driving a rocket that was rented at a space station with very little money. Even though he was responsible for causing this tragedy he is still named captain and leader of the crew.
- Newbie is a really unlikeable character being a selfish, arrogant and spoiled kid that thinks be the great for being the leader. Sometimes he is responsible for ruining his crew's plans to return to Earth.
- Some characters are really weird, like Albert who is a stressed talking monkey who wears glasses, has asthma and does not stop talking references to TV shows and movies all the time, sometimes getting annoying when he laughs. Other pointless characters are Contralt and the villain Zurduqui.
- Some characters like Dawsons are practically useless.
- The character design of some characters is disturbing, mainly the villains Zurduqui (which has the head in the shape of an ass) and Yurkut (which looks like a distorted green version of Lord Voldemort). Just look at this: http://eovideolevou.com.br/imgProduto/71996_f4.jpg
- The animation is very cheap, slow and lifeless making the characters look like robots sometimes.
- Originally this show premiered on the channel TV Rá-Tim-Bum, which is considered one of the worst Brazilian children's channels also known for making several awful Brazilian cartoons.
- The personality of the characters is poorly written, for example: Dr. Roger and Zaba seem to have no feelings.
- Repetitive plot, in most episodes the characters seek to find a way to return to Earth, but are always stopped by Newbie's fault that ruins the plans.
The Only Redeeming Quality
- Laika has the only passable design in this show.