"Fish Hooks" is an American animated sitcom created by Noah Z. Jones, who later went on to create Almost Naked Animals and Pickle and Peanut. It aired on Disney Channel between September 3, 2010 and ended on April 4, 2014 and starred Kyle Massey, Justin Roiland and Chelsea Kane.
Milo, Oscar, and Bea are three teenage fish who attend high school at a pet store aquarium, going through teenage trials and tribulations, everything from homework and romance to giant eel attacks.
- While the flash animation isn't too bad, it tends to look mediocre at times, especially the character designs. Speaking of which, the characters don't even look like fish. Instead, they look like colorful ghosts with big lips and hair.
- Almost all the characters are fish-like stereotypes:
- Milo is the party animal stereotype.
- Jocktopus is the jock-jerk/bully stereotype.
- Albert Glass is the precocious child/nerd stereotype, but he’s likable.
- Bleak Molly, Razor, Scabbo, Goth Squid are goth/emo/punk stereotypes.
- Shellsea is fashion-diva stereotype.
- Steve Jackson is the cool dude stereotype, but he’s also likable.
- While the voice acting is passable, most of the characters' voices are annoying and/or high pitched, with Clamantha being the biggest offender (who is voiced by Alex Hirsch).
- It's nothing but a generic school sitcom, except with fish. You could replace the main characters with humans and it would make no difference.
- Ironically, there is an episode called "Pool Party Panic", where they're all humans, then farm animals, then food.
- The non-fish characters are stock images, such as Bud, Snake and Mouse, Wilford the Cat, Pamela Hamster, ect.
- Milo himself isn’t really a likable character and sometimes an unfunny comic relief, he is annoying at the times.
- Makes frequent use of various school clichés.
- Lazy plot, which is heavily derivative of other teen shows and sometimes copies and steal ideas from another sea-related cartoon, SpongeBob SquarePants.
- As mentioned before in # 1, the animation is not that bad. (even know Mercury Fireworks did a not bad job)
- While the design's look out of place for fishes, the art style is decent, and better then Almost Naked Animals and Pickle and Peanut.
- The voice acting is passable.
- The theme song is awesome.
- It does get better in Seasons 2 and 3.
- The stock photo backgrounds do blend in well with the environment/scene at times since fish tanks in real-life use stock photos of environments for backgrounds.
- Plenty of likable characters such as Oscar, Snake, Mouse, Bea, Dr. Frog, Steve Jackson, Jumbo Shrimp, Albert Glass, Ninja Fish, etc.
- Milo can be likable sometimes, especially in season 2 and 3.
- The final episode truly feels like one.
- There's also a variety good episodes here or there.
Fish Hooks received mostly mixed reception by critics and audiences alike. It received a 4.7/10 on IMDb.