Difference between revisions of "Beast of Friends (Bunsen Is A Beast/The Fairly OddParents)"
|(2 intermediate revisions by one other user not shown)|
|Line 50:||Line 50:|
== Trivia ==
== Trivia ==
This episode is dedicated to the memory of Kevin Iwaki.
This is the first episode since "Jerk of All Trades" to only feature Timmy, Cosmo, and Wanda.
* Kari Wahlgren stated that her ''Fairly OddParents'' character, Chloe Carmichael, did not make an appearance in this crossover episode because of her negative reception and also Wahlgren herself already portraying Amanda Killman.
== Videos ==
== Videos ==
Revision as of 08:58, 23 February 2021
”Beast of Friends” is a crossover special between Bunsen Is A Beast and The Fairly OddParents. Although characters from The Fairly OddParents do appear, this is not an official Fairly OddParents episode. It is only a Bunsen Is A Beast episode in terms of production.
The crossover special had mixed opinions among critics and fans alike.
It's Bunsen and Cosmo's Friend-iversary, so Bunsen excitedly takes Mikey to meet Cosmo in Dimmsdale, while Amanda secretly follows. The group has a great time until Mr. Crocker and Amanda team up and decide to take them down.
Warning: Do not change the head customs to “Why It Sucks” and “Redeeming Qualities”, as there are some people who actually like this crossover special. In fact, this crossover special got a 6.6/10 rating on IMDb.com, just to name an example. Thus, this crossover special is in the “Average” category.
- The only reason why this crossover special exists is so that Nickelodeon can have an excuse to further promote Bunsen Is A Beast, using The Fairly OddParents as marketing, and it shows.
- It doesn’t help that The Fairly OddParents already went downhill enough in its infamous ninth and tenth seasons, and Nickelodeon already moved the show over to Nicktoons to air its remaining episodes from its tenth season at the time this crossover special came out. So what’s the point?
- Ironically, this attempt flopped miserably as Nickelodeon hardly promoted or advertised Bunsen Is A Beast even after the network released this crossover special, and eventually moved the show over to Nicktoons by late 2017 to air its remaining episodes before being cancelled in February 2018 in which Butch Hartman departed from Nickelodeon just a few days before the show aired its final episode.
- The characterization from both sets of shows are still really poor:
- Bunsen and Mikey are even more annoying and louder than usual.
- Cosmo, Mr. Turner and Mr. Crocker are still severely dumbed down due to their flanderizations like usual.
- Mr. Crocker’s flanderization, in particular, has hit rock bottom. At the beginning of the special, as soon as he sees Cosmo and Wanda, guess what he does? He uses several pieces of mouse traps instead of his laboratory equipment, notably the butterfly net. Yes, seriously. Real intelligent, Crocker...
- The dynamic between Amanda and Crocker, while interesting, is not well handled because of Amanda’s poor characterization and Crocker’s flanderization.
- Slow pacing, as most of the special is just Mikey making many absurd wishes granted by Timmy’s fairies, while Amanda and Crocker constantly fall victim to pointless slapstick humor for the sake of forcing a cheap laugh out of the audience.
- Very annoying running gag jokes, such as:
- Amanda getting hit by pianos.
- Amanda using Boom-Boom Powder and saying "Where's the Boom-Boom?" before it goes off.
- Mr. Turner calling Mikey a hotdog head.
- Crocker snaring himself in mousetraps.
- Mr. Turner himself has no purpose to this episode other than yet another lazy attempt for the writers to use him as filler and make running gag jokes. The special could have easily function without him and nothing would have changed.
- Some questionable plot holes here and there, as this crossover special is very literal-minded:
- How Bunsen and Cosmo just happen to know each other to begin with? That plot point was never given an explanation. Additionally, Cosmo is a fairy, so Bunsen isn’t suppose to know his existence unless the writers could have executed this correctly so that it stays true to The Fairly OddParents continuity, but they unfortunately never did and lazily just dished out the “Bunsen and Cosmo know each other” plot point.
- Wanda’s wand runs out of battery after Mikey makes too many wishes. This is just yet another lazy excuse for the writers to force in drama or conflict, and almost on the same level with the “Cosmo and Wanda lose their wands” gag that was spammed throughout the ninth and tenth seasons.
- Due to Mr. Turner’s entire character being completely dumbed down as a result of flanderization, he doesn’t question the existence of Timmy’s fairies nor do Timmy’s fairies get taken away forever. But then again, this is modern Fairly OddParents we’re talking about here.
- The flash animation and character designs are still pretty out of date and cheap looking for 2017 standards.
- Just like most cases with Bunsen Is A Beast as well as every Fairly OddParents episode animated in flash, this crossover special really feels way too random and whacky in terms of its plot and humor with barely any structure, and the pacing suffers just as much, given that the running gag jokes take up most of the special’s running time.
- Chloe Carmichael is completely absent from this crossover special, most likely due to negative reception that her character has gotten similar to Sparky. This alone proves that she is indeed a useless character.
- Although it is still unfortunate that Poof didn’t return, it at least focuses on the original dynamic between Timmy, Cosmo and Wanda.
- The voice acting is still good like usual (with the exceptions of Bunsen, Amanda, and Cosmo).
The crossover special received generally mixed reviews among critics and fans alike. It currently holds a 6.6/10 rating on IMDb.com. It was praised mainly for the absence of the recent new Fairly OddParents character, Chloe Carmichael, and criticized mainly for the writing.
- This episode is dedicated to the memory of Kevin Iwaki.
- This is the first episode since "Jerk of All Trades" to only feature Timmy, Cosmo, and Wanda.
- Kari Wahlgren stated that her Fairly OddParents character, Chloe Carmichael, did not make an appearance in this crossover episode because of her negative reception and also Wahlgren herself already portraying Amanda Killman.